BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wayward Wonderers


Day 29 June 18, 2009 drove 286 miles forget it--it was not a good day. The road from Tok to Haines Junction was the worst road I have ever traveled on the road was a roller coaster, bumps, dips, gravel, and rocks. Oh I forgot the washboard effect it had. Believe it or not the Top of the World Highway was better than this part. Also after just having my windshield fixed in Tok, I got 3 new holes now on the driver's side windshield and numerous chips in the paint when a log truck flew by on the other side of the construction area. They say they try to fix it every year but it does no good. Funny thing it is in Canada and once you get to Destruction Bay which is a popular attraction on the road the road is quite nice to travel on. All of a sudden the perma frost ends.?????

Day 30, 31 I stayed in Haines Junction, I needed a rest from driving. I had been on a cruise and I already had done that area--but most of all I wanted to rest. The gang went to Haines, Juneau, and then came back from Skagway. I stayed at the campground that we all stayed at on Day 29. I walked to town, about 1 mile. I was warned to stay on the highway because they have a lot of grizzly bears around, and to take a bell with me. I got to watch a little TV. I had a dream about my mother walking in the woods with me trying to find her. Then I took a bus to 54th and Villard. Too much junk food before I went to bed.

Day 32 June 21 (father's day) Sunday--Found a church in Haines Junction.. Quonset Hut was now a church. Only 15 small pews. The Bishop was there to give First Communion to 2 children. 12 kids were in church and 15 adults. I was the only foreigner. They knew it. The bishop was there with his miter and staff. I then drove only 100 miles to Whitehorse. Did some grocery shopping and relaxed again. I thought the gang would be back soon and meet me in Whitehorse. They got stuck in Juneau.

Day 33 June 22 Whitehorse, YT Started to clean and wax the camper. Hi Country RV a very nice place. I did have some internet and got to talking with a lot of nice people. Met a nice couple from Switzerland.. Roy and Corinne. We even played cards that night. They were on their honeymoon. I saw a light in a camper that the eyes of the wolf would follow you. The wife gave me a e-mail address. Talked with some friends on the magic jack line.

Day 34 Still at Hi Country. Roy brought over some leftovers bottles of oil and papers because they were flying back to Vancover in the morning.
Watched a movie and waxed again. It takes a long time--it is a big camper. Saw Roy and Corinne again tonight. We laughed and told stories.

Day 35 Johnson's Crossing, YT I drove only 83 miles today. Before I left I went back into Whitehorse because there was to be a canoe race to Dawson City. I missed the start by 3 minutes.
Finally met back up with the gang. Good to see them again. They had some strange stories to tell.I made supper for the group. We then had an uninvited guest. A fox. It just stood at the window looking up. It could smell the garlic. I also drained the noodles onto the ground and it found a few noodles. It would keep coming back to the camper. Got some great pictures. It also took a shoe from in front of another camper.
We then got back into our routine and played cards,

0 comments: