BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Home sweet Home


Days 46, 47, and 48 driving home 1569 miles homeward bound

Day 46
As I was driving on Canadian Hwy 1 in SK which is like an interstate but it has crossroads not exit ramps, which are mostly dirt roads. There she was a mother duck walking her ducklings across the highway. As I approached and saw them I was going 60mph nin the right lane, by the time I saw them they were in the left lane, mother flew up and over while the ducklings ran as fast as I had ever seen a tiny duckling move. It was like in warp speed that they ran. I am happy to report that they all made it. I don't know how. Now some of you from Craig High School know how important it was for me to have this work out just fine.!
Also as I stopped at a rest area along this road (not like our rest areas--dirt road, turn around and come back out if you have enough room to turn around that is--and of course I was happy to have a toliet--just bushes there) well as I entered back onto the highway the other 2 westbound lanes seemed to have disappeared. Where did they go? Was I too tired? Something wrong with my brain? I check the lines on the road--there was a white broken line for the 2 lanes and the yellow solid line was on the left. Good! Now where is the road? I kept driving. On the left of me now was a cattle ranch and even a fence around the area. I kept driving. About 5 miles down the road I finally saw some traffic going the other way. Well I guess someone didn't want to sell their land or it is just the way they do it, but actually the median turned out to be a fenced in cattle ranch. I believe at times the other side of the road was a mile away.

Day 47
Today I crossed the border.
I was at customs for an hour. They not only x-rayed my camper but first one guy came through the camper and then another. They even checked in my bathroom. They said they were looking for extra people. One woman in a camper must not fit the right profile. They took my tomatoes and wanted my oranges which had USA stickers on them but they said they probably came in contact with Canadian produce. I had 8 big oranges--he said it is bad to bring them in--bugs could be on the skin. I told him I will then peel them. So I proceeded to do so while he waited. The tomatoes had a Mexico sticker on them. Funny thing after I crossed back into the USA only 10 miles down the road there were the Mexican tomatoes on sale again.
Even more funny today I went to our store in town and they were selling tomatoes from Canada. No lie--I've never seen tomatoes from Canada in Wisconsin--the story continues. Maybe they stopped me because when I came through I had another person in the camper and now I had sun shields covering the windows. What do you think? I didn't make it to my destination that I wanted but I stayed 40 miles outside of Fargo. I called ahead and I was even late getting in there. I wanted to sanitize the water system because of the creek water.

Day 48
Almost home. A little more than 500 to go. Got up and moving by 8:30. Stopped after an hour because I had some bleach water in the tank yet and this gave it time to move around. No need to carry it all the way home. At the rest area I let the remaining water out from the tank and water heater. A trucker then came banging on my door yelling at me--saying I was polluting the ground. I told him it was clean water. He was having a fit. I'm sure he thought it was gray water. I left with the water dripping out. I could have had more words for him but I was just glad to get away from him. I wonder if he screams like that when it rains!!!! My water was even better than rain water!!! Welcome back to the US.
The day gets better. Not! Well now I'm in a traffic jam near Minneapolis. Backed up sitting on intersate 94. I wish I was back with the cattle on the highway--no traffic. So I sat, then I decided to get off. Got some gas, and took some back roads. I didn't know if it would work, but I followed a truck for ab out 20 miles. Got back on the interstate and now the other side was backed up for 6 miles as I drove east. Luck shot for me. After being on roads in Alaska and Canada and not seeing a car or truck for sometimes 50 miles--it is really hard to sit on an interstate and wait.
Morgan and Jen were waiting for me at home. Great to see them. Morgan's hug was really needed!! They helped me get things out of the camper.

I HAD A WONDERFUL TRIP AND THE MEMORIES WILL LAST A LIFETIME IT WAS BY FAR THE BEST VACATION EVER

0 comments: